The inaugural NGV Triennial was a wild ride, an exhibition of over 100 artists and designers from 32 countries that attracted 1.23 million visitors to the National Gallery of Victoria over its four month run, smashing attendance records in Australia.
Subsequently it has been recognised with a number of awards, which I will attempt to capture here.
- The NGV Triennial publication was awarded a prestigious D&AD Pencil in the world’s best Culture, Art and Design books for the year by London’s Designers & Art Directors. Noted as being equivalent to a ‘career knighthood’, we believe it represents the first time an Australian publisher has received a Pencil in that category.
- It won the Best Exhibition Catalogue at the American Alliance of Museums 2018 Museum Publications Design Awards.
- The publication also won Australian Book Designers Association Book of the Year and Best Designed Fully Illustrated Book Over $50.
- It was one of three winners of the Major Catalogue (Level B) category of the 2018 Museums Australia Publication Design Awards.
- The publication won the Pinnacle award at the Australian Graphic Designers Association in the Publication Design category.